Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Check? What's a Check?

At the start of every new year, you hear people bemoaning the fact that they're still writing last year's date on their checks: "I just got used to writing 2006! I can't believe I have to start remembering to write 2007!" In just three days, I've heard so many comments like this that here I am blogging about it.

Questions, so many questions, like: Check? What's a check? Who the heck is still writing checks these days? Well, me, but only one a month, and that's only because I don't trust this one particular recipient all that much. I want both a paper trail and an electronic trail.

I actually take notice of it when someone who looks to be younger than 60 writes out a check in the supermarket checkout line. It's just so turn-of-the-century.

I wonder how long it will be before checks as we know them will become obsolete. Any predictions?

4 comments:

Margaret Feinberg said...

I hope checks never go out of style. I, for one, will always welcome a check... on my birthday, Christmas, Arbor Day... you name it, I'm always game (particularly if it doesn't bounce). :)

Marcia Ford said...

I'm all for getting money, whether it's by check or direct-deposit or PayPal, or my preferred method, cash in my hand :). I just don't write checks very much anymore. Debit card for shopping, electronic bill-paying, all that makes writing a check seem so last century.

John Michael De Marco said...

I actually try to write them when I'm buying things out at stores, as opposed to online. The reason? I'm sick of all those debit card receipts piling up for weeks at a time! There's never enough time to substract those dastardly things on a daily basis...sigh. So, I'm so 20th Century...

Marcia Ford said...

That's why God created online banking...