Thursday, February 01, 2007

Googie's, McSorley's, and Minetta Tavern


Okay, I know there are lots of you out there who have memories of these three Greenwich Village hangouts. Let's swap stories. I'll start:
  • Googie's: My all-time favorite NYC bar. I stumbled on this place by accident in the late '60s, not knowing it was already a classic. Friendliest place ever then, and apparently still so. On Sullivan Street.


  • Minetta Tavern: Another place I found by accident. I ate there every time I went to the Village, which was way too often back in the '60s and '70s. I only recently found out that Reader's Digest started in its basement in 1922, and it later became a haven for poets and writers. Must have been all those literary vibes that drew me in. At Minetta and MacDougal.


  • McSorley's: I'm guessing somebody told me about this place back in the day. It was known for having cheap drinks then, but I understand it's been yuppified, and drinks are now priced out of reason. On East 7th near Bowery.

It's been decades since I've darkened the doors of any of these places, but even though I can't/don't drink anymore, I'd go back in a heartbeat. (Well, maybe not to McSorley's, since apparently more than just the prices have changed.) My daughter is in NYC right now, and she is not to leave the city until she hits Googie's and the Minetta Tavern and calls me from both places. I love holding a written will over the heads of my offspring.

Yeah, there are lots of other places I could mention, especially on Bleecker. But these three places hold a special place in my heart. Great memories, all around. Share yours!

12 comments:

Margaret Feinberg said...

Yum. Yum. You make me want to go to NYC...but not till spring :).

Anonymous said...

i say if it wasn't for all the colleges downtown, them areas would have been much more empty and a different vibe would have existed .

Jerry said...

My dad was the original owner. His nickname was googie

Anonymous said...

was this whrn it was called Jeff's irl6460?

Anonymous said...

My dad bartended there in the late 60’s to 71, when I was born. His name was John Morere but everyone called him along John. If you remember him? Please let me know!

Anonymous said...

"Good God Googies!" What a joint. Always an upbeat and fun bar to hang with friends and/or strangers.

Anonymous said...

Thank your father in your thoughts and prayers for maintaining a great institution in GV. A great place to spend an evening drinking and talking to whoever sat next to you.

Anonymous said...

Best strawberry daiquiri back in the 70s

Anonymous said...

There used to be a guy named George that waited tables on Sat night and bartended on Sunday afternoons. Very cool guy. Googie's had the best juke box in Manhattan and the best restroom poetry. Best bar I was ever in.

Anonymous said...

My favorite bar in the village Jimmy Red Benedetto owned it back early 1970’s. Favorite bartenders Jimmy and Tommy! Best bouncer Kim!

Anonymous said...

Don’t forget Sherman in the kitchen. And Shannon Two Feathers who played guitar in hootanany nights

Anonymous said...

Anyone remember a bartender Adam? In the '60s?